TOTE is proud to bring the world’s first natural gas-powered containerships to an industry that dates back thousands of years.
Our Marlin-class vessels are the most advanced, environmentally responsible vessels of their kind – while providing safe, reliable cargo deliveries that keep communities moving.
The two Marlin-class vessels were built at the General Dynamics NASSCO shipyard in San Diego. These American-made ships were delivered in late 2015 and early 2016, and operate between Jacksonville, Florida and San Juan, Puerto Rico.
This investment demonstrates our commitment to the people of Puerto Rico and our environment. These vessels mark a new age of shipping, using the best technology in the world.
- Sustained more than 600 American shipyard jobs during construction
- Over $350 million capital commitment from TOTE
- First Marlin ship entered service in late 2015; second ship in early 2016
- Purpose-built for the Puerto Rico trade
- Marlins accommodate 2.5x more 53’ containers than previous vessels
- Bunker (fueling) in Jacksonville, Florida
- General Dynamics NASSCO constructed the Marlins at their shipyard in San Diego, CA
- Daewoo Ship Engineering Company (DSEC) part of Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering (DSME) provided the vessel design
- TOTE is the launch customer of MAN‘s innovative ME-GI engine design
- Main and Auxiliary Engines manufactured by Doosan
- Pivotal LNG, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), and WesPac Midstream LLC (WesPac) will supply LNG in Jacksonville, FL
The Marlin-class earned the Next Generation Shipping Award at the 2013 Nor-Shipping Conference, making TOTE the first U.S. company to take home this prestigious award.
Converting our fleet to LNG
TOTE is not just the first in the nation to build LNG ships, but we’re also first to convert our existing fleet to run on natural gas. Our two Orca Class vessels, operated by TOTE Maritime Alaska, will be converted with minimal time out of service and return as the most environmentally advanced ships in the nation.
- Bunker (fueling) in Tacoma, WA
- Minimal out of service time during conversion
- Conversion to LNG will reduce emissions well below the world’s most stringent environmental standards
TOTE Services, one of the leading ship management companies in the U.S., supported the new construction of the Marlins and will supervise the conversion of the TOTE Maritime Alaska fleet to LNG propulsion. Their experience in LNG propulsion systems is among the most extensive in the industry.